Tuesday 15 July 2014

Hebridean holiday

Visiting the Outer Hebrides involved four ferries - I was a bit worried about these as I'm a bad sea traveller but I needn't have worried as all the crossings were perfect.  Even saw dolphins on one of the crossings which was a first for us.


We loved the empty roads and the wild flowers especially the 'machair', the flowers which grow on the low-lying areas next to the sea.  The sand and crushed shells are blown onto the land and create the ideal conditions for this carpet of wild flowers.  Another thing crossed off my bucket list!
Vatersay was once an island but is now reached by a causeway.  White sands and wilderness - second off the list!
A bit of excitement!  Watching the small plane landing and taking off from the airport beach on Barra.  What more could you ask for!  All this and the pleasure of meeting up with Annie and Niels in Ullapool - so nice to meet bloggers you've only seen in photos!

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful views and the water looks so clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are lovely. I want to go there too! The machair is so pretty. I remember the carpets of wild flowers on Iona.
    It looks as if you had a good trip with some sunshine as well. It was really enjoyable meeting you both too we had a great time. Isn't it incredible when someone steps out of their bog and you actually get to meet them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be a wonderful trip! The photos of the wild flowers and white sand beaches are beautiful. And fun to meet a blogger in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pleased you got to meet Ann and Niels. I think I probably introduced them through my blog as she was a radio ham and lived near us!! Maybe one day we will get up to that area and meet up with them again .
    Looks like you had good weather, which helps when on holiday in the UK!!
    I haven't had the time or inspiration to compose a blog for a while although we have been to some interesting places in the UK recently.

    Jackie in Surrey, UK.x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This must have been a wonderful trip, Julia! The views are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow.........what a delightful looking place to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another beautiful place to add to my bucket list! Thanks for sharing another new place for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The machair looks stunning. I would love to spend more time in the Hebrides. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks amazing, what a great trip! thanks for your comment on my blog, I can so see how that would happen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness I recognise the seat at Eoropie beach :) I used to live just near there. Glad the weather was good for you x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! Every one is valued!